Edge and companies: Hpe Aruba’s research
The research Hpe Aruba has emerged that the Edge is an ’ concrete opportunities but not yet completely exploited by companies.
The search for Hpe Aruba
Companies and Edge
According to the new research promoted by Aruba the possibility for companies to obtain Business value on data depends on the skills they have to collect them, process them, archive them and analyze them at the level of the#8217; Edge.
In the face of increasingly congested networks by enormous volumes of data generated by users and IoT devices, IT managers are aware of how real-time data analysis in greater proximity to the Edge produces higher efficiency levels e insight. Which, in turn, lead to better business results. The global study carried out on 2.400 Decision Maker IT (ITDM), among which 100 Italian companies participated, It says that 72% of them actively use Edge technologies to obtain new results. While another 16% plan to do it within the next year.
An increasing percentage (82%) recognizes the urgency of implementing integrated systems to manage data on the Edge.
The level of maturity of the Deployment Edge of an. 78% of ITDMs in the production phase with Edge technologies say they are able to use such data with the aim of improving decisions or business processes. A fact that must be compared with 42% of those who are still in the pilot phase.
And with 31% of those who intend to start pilot projects over the next year.
The research is part of the “At the Edge of Change: Navigating The New Data was” report, Here the link, which evaluates the implications of moving the data processing from the cloud to the Edge, the response of the ITDM, the opportunities that the Edge offers in various economic sectors and the essential role that the Networking in this transformation. The results of the report reveal interesting aspects.
Companies consider the solution to a amount of data
The advantages of Edge technologies become increasingly important to the growing volumes of data generated in the networks. That the ITDMs must face by taking into consideration costs and latency that are obtained by archiving them and developing them directly on the#8217; Edge.
- 33% of ITDMs say that “there are too many data to manage for our systems” and 28% say they “not be able to process data in a quick enough way to act accordingly”.
- Almost a quarter highlights problems in terms of budget (23%), deficiency of skills (23%) and inability to collect data from so many different sources (21%).
- Over half (55%) of the ITDM recognizes globally “one ’ much faster processing” as a consequence of the optimization associated with machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) on their respective networks.
Increase in the efficiency and creation of new experiences are the most important factors
The ITDMs report a series of advantages that derive from the acquiring and analyzing data on the Edge, from the operational efficiency to the opportunity to create new products, services and flows of revenues.
- 53% of ITDM underlines the “improvement of efficiency and operating costs” as one of the greatest advantages deriving from the acquiring and using data from user devices. While 47% cite a “increase in the productivity of the workforce”.
- 44% of interviewees are convinced that the data provide more in -depth insight on customers. 40% underline the opportunity to create “new products, services, flows of revenues and differentiated business models” and 40% indicate the possibility of providing personalized services.
- ITDMs are concentrated on the use of the Edge to improve safety, visibility and customer experience. At the level of sectors, the cases of use of the most common edge concern the tracking and monitoring of individual objects along the supply chain in retail (51%), the use of the recognition of the face in the hotel sector and of the#8217; hospitality (49%). And the improvement of the experience of health facilities by means of tools and always-on applications (49%).
Concerns relating to costs, skills and safety
Although the ITDM demonstrate a growing interest in the processing and processing and data analysis on the data on the Edge, there is no lack of concerns for different factors that hinder them the adoption.
- 32% of ITDM indicates the lack of skills as main concern, Edge’s ability or understanding of Edge technologies. The majority (92%) is convinced not to have part of the skills necessary to help the company unlock the value of the data.
- The data rises to 98% and 99% of ITDMs respectively in the public and hotel and hospitality.
- Skills on AI and Machine Learning (43%), Analytical skills (41%) and technical skills (37%) are the main areas of competence in which companies record deficiency.
- Overall there are conflicting judgments on the implications of the Edge in terms of security. If 57% of ITDM states that the connection of user devices or IoTs to Edge has made or make their company more vulnerable, 47% indicate the strengthening of safety as one of the main advantages deriving from the acquisition of given by user devices.
A bridge between Edge and the Cloud
While companies continue to increase their dependence on data, It is essential that these are analyzed and elaborated in a reliable and safe way. Near the point where they are generated. Network architectures and traditional operational processes created to support the cloud and mobility on the era must adapt to these new needs.
Companies that are evaluating the possibility of exploiting the power of their data and creating an ’ Edge infrastructure must consider some points for a successful implementation: